Saint Mary's women to take alternative trip

Instead of taking time out to rest and relax during Spring Break, several Saint Mary's students will be spending the week helping others.

The College offers an Alternative Spring Break experience each year designed to give students a chance to learn about social issues while participating in service.
Carrie Call, director of the Office for Civic and Social Engagement (OCSE), said 12 students plan on attending this year. Call said 12 is both the ideal and suggested limit for attendance. 

"Students will be involved in learning about a variety of social issues, especially those related to women, while also engaging in hands-on service," Call said. 
Alternative Spring Break is a program coordinated by OCSE in conjunction with the Indianapolis Peace Institute (IPI). Saint Mary's alumna Kate Williams is responsible for the program this year.

The trip will provide students an opportunity to participate in service projects while on break. 

According to the Saint Mary's Web site, participants will have a chance to learn about a variety of issues involving women. The Web site said the 2010 Alternative Spring Break trip will focus on domestic and sexual violence against women, human trafficking, women's health issues and women in the criminal justice field. 

Additionally, the Web site said, "Local leaders, representatives from agencies within Indianapolis and clients and those affected by the issues will provide information, insight and inspiration."

The trip will also provide students an opportunity for spiritual reflection, the Web site said. 
"Students are always seeking new ways to help and to learn. This gives a great opportunity for both and it's not too far away," Call said. "The OCSE is committed to offering as many options as possible for students to discover their passions and interests. Plus, the Indianapolis Peace Institute is a fabulous organization."

The Web site said students will reside in a restored home owned by IPI. 

According to the Web site, "this special house allows for building community through preparing and eating meals together as well as facilitating discussion and reflection."
The program will run from March 6-12, the Web site said. 

"It's a different way to spend your break time — one that helps others while enriching your own life," Call said.