Tradition is character

I apologize for continuing this conversation into yet ANOTHER day of Observer Viewpoints. But I felt it was necessary.

I think it is you, Mr. Voutsos ("Perspectives on Tradition," Oct. 27), who misunderstands our tradition. Notre Dame's tradition is not any set of sacred objects as you suggest — it's an idea of class. We maintain a classy character in our sports games that so many schools have lost. For example, we have an incredible university band, we sing an alma mater instead of booing our opponents, we stripe the end zones instead of painting our name there and we resist the urge to clad our mascot in foam. Last weekend at the USC game, we saw our classy character flushed. Towels are not classy. "Crazy Train" screaming on a loud speaker is not classy. And (for future reference, Coach Kelly) jumbo-trons are not classy.

It is not only the alumni who were disappointed in the changes. I agree that we can develop our traditions, as you pointed out in your article with good examples. But that change must occur within the community's character.

Also, I hope everyone supports "X for X" during the Celtic chants of the first quarter this weekend ("Raise an X for X," Oct. 27). Community is classy, and Xavier matters.

Mary Buechler

senior

Lewis Hall

Oct. 27