Leaders customize crime database

Campus Life Council's regular meeting was postponed Monday afternoon, as members met with Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) Sgt. Keri KeiShibata to customize the online CrimeReports database. The customization is part of an ongoing initiative to improve interactive campus security.

Shibata said the meeting sought to analyze University maps and define neighborhoods within campus based on geographical landmarks. Doing so, she said, will provide students with access to the most relevant security information for their area of campus on the CrimeReports website.

"[We're drawing] lines on the map in a way that makes sense for students and staff on campus," Shibata said.

Student body president Pat McCormick said creating campus neighborhoods would make the CrimeReports database more user-friendly for student users.

"Our goal was to identify the best way of utilizing CrimeReports on campus, in a way that would make sense to students based on where they live," he said. "We also wanted to give as much information as possible in an interactive way."

Chief of staff Claire Sokas said CrimeReports would alert students, faculty and staff about reported events occurring in their respective neighborhoods.

One proposed neighborhood would include South Quad, West Quad, Carroll Hall, the Morris Inn, the Hammes Notre Dame Bookstore, Main Circle and the bookstore basketball courts, she said. Other neighborhoods will include campus parking lots.

"The parking lots are where students are the least aware of where crime is going on, but need to be the most aware," Sokas said.

Ed Mack, rector of O'Neill Hall, said the Notre Dame CrimeReports information would be useful to residents of the hall.

"All my guys would be interested in [the] D6 [parking lot]," he said.

Student body secretary Katie Baker said NDSP will distribute flyers containing the CrimeReports web address, instructions for using the site and information about the CrimeReports iPhone mobile app.

McCormick said student government was grateful for the opportunity to collaborate with CrimeReports to improve accessibility to campus safety information.

"Our hope is for the system to continue advancing on campus," he said.