Club hosts prom for cancer patients

Prom is a celebratory pinnacle of four years walking high school hallways, and Saint Mary's Stands Up will bring the magic of that night to cancer patients and survivors in March.

The College chapter, which is a branch of the national Stand Up To Cancer organization, will host a prom for those in the local area dealing with cancer March 2. Senior Devon Graham, Saint Mary's Stands Up president and founder, said she wanted to create an event that would allow students to interact with cancer patients and survivors.

"So many of us are healthy people and we underestimate things like prom, but prom is a big deal for people who aren't healthy enough to go," Graham said. "I think this prom gives students and patients the opportunity to interact and be a support system for each other.

The event will be held at Haggar Parlor and is open to all students and cancer patients in the area. There is no cost for cancer patients and their guests.

This is Stand Up's second prom, and Graham said she hopes the event will eventually become an annual occurrence.

"It's amazing to hear a cancer patient's story," Graham said. "The prom is a great way for patients to share those stories with students."

Graham said she established a Saint Mary's chapter during her sophomore year because of her belief in the value of Stand Up's mission.

"My dad passed away from cancer when I was in high school and ever since I've kept up with Stand Up To Cancer," Graham said.
"Everyone is so affected by cancer. We have a passion for it because we've all had someone we love either survive or lose the fight."

During the school year, Stand Up member

s volunteer at Memorial Hospital and fundraise, Graham said. Supporting cancer research is a key aspect of the club's goals.
"I really like that 100 percent of any donation goes straight to research," Graham said. "Researchers work together through out the country to come up with treatments or ways to detect different types of cancers."

Graham said she is happy to be a part of an organization that provides both financial and emotional support for students who have been impacted by cancer.

"I like being a part of Stand Up because not only is it a great organization with a great mission, but it's also such a great support system."