SMC launches capital campaign

Saint Mary's director of media relations Gwen O'Brien encouraged students to join the community in launching Faith Always, Action Now, the capital campaign that seeks to raise $80 million for scholarships, professorships, selected facility improvements and other projects, for the College.

The reception will be held at 6 p.m. Friday in the O'Laughlin Auditorium lobby, hosting members of the community before the campaign launch event, which begins at 7 p.m

"This event is not something to miss," O'Brien said. "The reception and launch event will definitely excite students about Saint Mary's and its future with this campaign."

Alumna Lindsey Anderson, a professional opera singer, is currently on campus to act as the storyteller for the evening, student body president Maureen Parsons said.  

"Current students will be sharing their Saint Mary›s story and there will be video throughout as well," she said. "The program is emotional and touching, and I think will be something students who attend will never forget."

Students are also encouraged to attend the Heritage Week dinner, which begins tonight at 5:15 p.m. Special guest speakers include board chair Mary L. Burke, a 1985 alumna, and Sister VeroniqueWiedower, a 1970 graduate of the College."The Heritage Week dinner is an annual event we have during this week each year. 

This year it is a little different because of the capital campaign launch," Parsons said. "Mary Burke is going to speak to the students about what the capital campaign is, what we are raising money for and why it is important for current students."

As a senior, Parsons knows she and her peers may never see the changes while students but said students must remember that "the renovations and new buildings we have currently are because of past alumnae investing in the College as well." 

Also part of the campaign she and her peers may never see the changes while students, but said students must remember that "the renovations and new buildings we have currently are because of past alumnae investing in the College as well."

Also part of the campaign launch festivities was a faculty luncheon hosted by College President Carol Ann Mooney on Wednesday afternoon that awarded two faculty members for their excellence at the College. 

"These awards, made possible by the generosity of two alumnae and their spouses, recognize faculty members who are deeply dedicated to their students, their scholarship, and their communities," a College press releasee said. 

Mary Ann Merryman, professor of business and accounting, was presented The Donald R. and Nora Barry Fischer Faculty Award for Teaching Excellence. This award, named for the 1973 graduates of Notre Dame and Saint Mary's, respectively, recognizes excellence in discipline-specific teaching by a faculty member in upper-division courses in a major, the press release said. 

"In addition to her typical teaching responsibilities, over the past nine years, Merryman has organized and coached a team of four to compete in the INCPAS Case Competition, competing against teams from colleges and universities across Indiana," the press release said. "Merryman has led Saint Mary's teams to the final six for seven of the last eight years with the teams finishing first in 2010 and 2011."

Merryman is a certified public accountant account who received her Bachelor of Science from Manchester College and her Master of Science in Accountancy from Notre Dame.

Jayne Kendle, associate professor of nursing, was presented with The Kevin J. and Marijo Rogers Kelly Service Award, named for the 1977 graduates of Notre Dame and Saint Mary's, respectively. This award recognizes a faculty member who demonstrates exceptional commitment to local, regional, nationa, or international service to his or her academic field, according to the press release. 

"Kendle has expanded her service role to include serving as a Board member of the O'Hana Heritage Foundation helping to establish A Rosie Place, a specialty care hospital for medically fragile children," the press release said. "She continues to work to educate Indiana legislators and work with the State Department of Public Health to secure funds to support these families."

Kendle received her Bachelor of Science in Nursing from the University of Evansville and has a Master of Science in Nursing from the University of Missouri.