Student Activites (SUB) Preview

The Student Activities Board (SUB) is preparing for a year full of entertainment and events that will appeal to the largest majority of students on campus, according to board manager KaitlynKeelin.

Kaitlyn gave Scene an overview of everything the board has planned for this school year. Its biggest concern this year will be matching events to students' interests.  

In addition to continuing with online surveys, SUB will also have tables set up at events to allow students to give feedback and to tell the board what they would like to see in the future.  According to Kaitlyn, "one of the most difficult things for us as student event programmers is identifying events or performers that both appeal to students and are within budget."  ­­­

To solve this problem, SUB plans to build a database of student contact information in order to reach out to all students for input via email.

Also, SUB is using social media sites to reach out to students. It currently has a Facebook page, a Twitter and an Instagram account, as well as a webpage, sub.nd.edu, which is going through construction and will soon be up and running.

For those who are new to campus, SUB is a board run by students, for the students, which provides various programs throughout the year. The most popular event, and Kaitlyn's personal favorite, is Antostal, a week at the end of the spring semester full of complimentary refreshments and entertainment. 

"It's my favorite event because I believe that it fully captures the essence of student programming," Kaitlyn said. "Not only is it a week of free food and events, but it's also one last chance to bring the student body together to relax and enjoy campus before the chaos of finals and move-out sets in."

In addition to Antostal, SUB runs 12 other programs, including AcoustiCafe, the Holy Half Marathon and the Notre Dame Literary Festival. Kaitlyn said that without SUB, students wouldn't have the chance to see famous artists at awesome prices, get free food randomly or have weekly DeBart movies, so, basically, campus would be pretty boring without it.

If you are interested in helping SUB bring the best entertainment to campus, there are several easy ways to get involved, Kaitlyn said. For freshmen, there is a Street Team, which serves as the main publicity team for SUB. 

"It's a great way to get a feel for how SUB works as an organization, and it also allows freshmen to become familiar with our programs and events before stepping into higher roles," Kaitlyn said. 

Working for SUB will put you up close and personal with the biggest entertainment on campus, and there are plenty of opportunities after freshman year to become more and more involved, Kaitlyn said. 

SUB needs upperclassmen to take the five-minute surveys provided at events in order to help the board best match students' interests. Participation in these surveys will put students on SUB's email list, which will provide online surveys for future events. To hold a higher position on the Student Union Board, students can participate in interviews that take place in February and March. Every student on campus receives an email with the application, so keep your eyes out. 

"While this year's positions have been filled," Kaitlyn said, "if you would like to get involved with SUB, please email us at sub@nd.edu and we can evaluate from there."