Notre Dame, Saint Mary's extend benefits to same-sex spouses of employees

Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s will extend benefits to all legally married spouses of employees, including same-sex spouses, now that same-sex marriage is recognized under Indiana law.

The Office of Human Resources sent an email announcing the change to benefit-eligible faculty and staff Wednesday.

“On Monday, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear appeals from decisions striking down bans on same-sex marriage in several states, including Indiana,” the email stated. “This means that the law in Indiana now recognizes same-sex marriages and the University will extend benefits to all legally married spouses, including same-sex spouses.

“Notre Dame is a Catholic university and endorses a Catholic view of marriage. However, it will follow the relevant civil law and begin to implement this change immediately.”

Saint Mary’s Director of Media Relations Gwen O’Brien said in an email Thursday: “ Same-sex marriage is legal in Indiana. Saint Mary’s College will follow the law.”

Notre Dame Vice President for Public Affairs and Communications Paul Browne said the number of employee families that will be covered under the expanded policy won’t be known until employees begin signing up for the benefits, according to a South Bend Tribune report Thursday.