Core Curriculum Review Committee releases final report

core curriculum web

After taking feedback on a draft report released in November, the Core Curriculum Review Committee released its final report Wednesday by committee co-chairs Michael Hildreth and John McGreevy in separate emails to the faculty and student body. The report recommended changes to the University’s undergraduate course requirements and policies and is the result of a two-year curriculum review process. Its recommendations may be implemented for the class of 2022.

The major changes recommended in the report are a reduction in the number of required math and science courses and a modification of the requirements relating to the arts, humanities and social sciences. Currently, an undergraduate student is required to take two courses each in math and science, and a course each in history, social science and the fine arts or literature. Under the changes to the math and science requirements outlined in the report, a student would take one class each in “quantitative reasoning” and “science and technology,” and one additional course in either. A student also would choose one course in art, literature or advanced language and culture, one course in history or social science and one integration course or a course in an undetermined “way of knowing.”

CRISTINA INTERIANO | The Observer
The report recommends continuing to require students to take two theology courses, the Moreau First Year Experience course and a University seminar in the first year. The report also recommends continuing to require students to take a foundational philosophy course but allows a student to take either a second philosophy course or one in “Catholicism and the Disciplines,” a new category of courses that cover Catholic topics but can be in any field.

If accepted, the changes in the report will be the most significant changes to the core curriculum in more than 40 years, the email said.

According to the email sent to students, each college council or equivalent body, the Faculty Senate and the Academic Council will have the opportunity to discuss the report’s recommendations.

“Given that these changes are the most substantive to the Core Curriculum since the late 1960s, we are not eager to rush deliberation of the recommendations,” the email stated.

In order for the report’s recommendations for changes to take effect, the Academic Council, followed by University President Fr. John Jenkins, will have to approve the proposal.

“If approved by Academic Council and, ultimately, the University president, the new core curriculum would presumably take effect in fall 2018, allowing adequate time for various units on campus to plan for the changes,” the email stated.