Fr. Jenkins to serve on Commission on College Basketball

University President Fr. John Jenkins will serve on the newly formed Commission on College Basketball, the University announced in a press release Wednesday. He will be one of 14 members on the commission.

“[The commission] will examine critical aspects of Division I men’s basketball in the wake of recent investigations into the sport by the FBI,” the press release said.

The commission was created by decision of the NCAA Board of Governors, Division I Board of Directors and NCAA president Mark Emmert, according to the release.

According to the release, main issues the commission will focus on are: “the relations of the NCAA national office, member institutions, student-athletes and coaches with outside entities, including apparel companies, agents and non-scholastic basketball; the NCAA’s relationship with the NBA, including the league’s so-called ‘one-and-done’ rule; [and] creating the right relationship between NCAA member universities and colleges and the national office to promote transparency and accountability.”

Five other commission members have connections to the University, according to the press release. Former Secretary of State and Notre Dame alumna Condoleezza Rice will chair it. Two honorary degree recipients — Mary Sue Coleman, president of the Association of American Universities, and Martin Dempsey, retired army general and former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff — will serve on the commission, as will Notre Dame parent and member of the NBA Hall of Fame David Robinson and Ohio State University athletic director and Notre Dame alumnus Gene Smith.