Sunday, May 12, 2024

SGA, RHA join efforts in hosting lip sync battle

Paths between the Student Government Association (SGA) and Residence Hall Association (RHA) may not cross often in everyday campus life, but they came together to throw a lip sync battle Wednesday.

Big Belle Little Belle co-chair and senior Moira LeMay said the battle, co-sponsored by Big Belle Little Bell and RHA, was created “to give girls something to do after classes, take a break from studying and just hang out.”

RHA co-president of events Lucia O’Quinn said she knew Big Belle Little Belle had an interest in hosting an event featuring singing. Sine RHA typically hosts a karaoke event, the senior thought to combine the two groups’ ideas.

“Big Belle Little Belle, they wanted to do something for their bigs and their littles, and I was thinking for RHA karaoke we did something 90s themed, and this event just became a kind of 90s themed lip sync battle type thing,” she said. 

O’Quinn found that the event was an instrumental step to “getting RHA and SGA to work together.”

“I hope that people realize that even though we’re two separate organizations, we really work together because there had been problems in the past between them,” O’Quinn said.

LeMay said the event was “something [they] might want to do [again] later on.”

Big Belle Little Belle has around 200 members, so committee organizers worked to make sure they had the appropriate space to accommodate their lip sync battles, Big Belle Little Belle co-chair Sarah Austin said.

“We had it in [Carroll Auditorium] so that we can give an opportunity for the bigs and the littles to come to an event together,” the junior said. “In general the space was really good for us just because we have a really large club and we couldn’t predict how many girls would come. So in the event that they all did come, they’d fill the seats.”

The event started with an icebreaker, and once the girls were ready to battle, prizes were theirs to win.

“We started off with a group dance, so we did the Cupid Shuffle. That way a lot of girls felt comfortable getting up because if we’re being goofy they feel like they can be goofy, too,” Austin said.

Prizes for winners included large makeup bags, blankets, face masks, beauty products, coffee mugs and gift cards for Uber, Starbucks and Chick-Fil-A. 

“I really enjoyed seeing the bigs and littles coming together,” Austin said. “[One little and big pair] did matching shirts and [performed] ‘You’ve got a friend in me’ from Toy Story, and had a little dance together. It was really cute, so seeing them making friends, interacting with the other girls were really good.”

Competitors were not limited to big and little pairs. Some of the committee members performed as well. Committee members from SGA and RHA reiterated their joint effort of the event by performed together.

By the end of the night, O’Quinn said the event was meant to be a place for students to let go of work and have an enjoyable evening.

“I think just that it’s a place for inclusivity for all students and just to have fun,” she said. “You know it’s not just all about school work and college, you have to have some type of social life.”