First-year Gateway students told to seek off-campus housing for 2022-2023 academic year

Students in the 2021-2022 Gateway cohort were informed they should not anticipate having on-campus housing for the 2022-2023 academic year, according to a Friday email from associate vice president for residential life Heather Rakoczy Russell and director of housing operations Jonathan Retartha.

On-campus housing will not be guaranteed for either Gateway transfer students or any transfer students, the email said.

The email said on-campus housing is not a guarantee for any transfer student, though students of each Gateway cohort have been offered on-campus placements because they are traditionally “promised priority housing status among transfer students.”

The email cited increased yields in first-year student enrollment in the past few years as a primary factor for limited space on the Notre Dame campus. The email encouraged Gateway students to seek off-campus housing now as opposed to holding out for on-campus housing.

“As a transfer student matriculating to Notre Dame in Fall 2022, you should pursue an off-campus lease at this time,” the email said, adding that transfer students who live off campus will receive credit toward their six-semester residency requirement.

Students may still apply to the on-campus housing waitlist if they wish; however, the email said typically only 10-12 beds open up for those on the waitlist.

Gateway students will have the option to apply for on-campus housing for the 2023-2024 academic year in October 2022.

“While we cannot guarantee available space, the larger number of students studying abroad during spring semester typically allows us much greater flexibility than in fall,” the email explained. “Regardless of your housing choice in the 2022-23 academic year, you will be assigned to a residence hall for the 2023-24 academic year.”

In addition, off-campus Gateway students will be offered the opportunity to connect with an on-campus community through the Hall Connections program next year.

“Wherever you live next fall, the University looks forward to welcoming you to our community and supporting your formation in both mind and heart,” the email said.