University alumnus donates $50 million for financial aid

University alumnus Harry Fath (’63) and his wife, Linda, gifted $50 million to his alma mater to use exclusively for undergraduate financial aid, Notre Dame announced in a press release Tuesday.

The gift is the “largest of its kind in the University’s history,” according to the release.

The Fath family approached Notre Dame about the possibility to make a difference for students who wish to attend the University — no matter their circumstances.

“Linda and I are honored to be able to make this gift to the University of Notre Dame, a place that is run with integrity and espouses the right kind of values,” Harry Fath said in the release. “It is our hope that this gift will change thousands of lives for the better.”

The release noted that financial aid has been the University’s top fundraising priority for more than three decades. This year, the University is distributing more than $180 million in aid.

University President Fr. John Jenkins extended his gratitude to the Faths on behalf of the University.

“This extraordinarily generous gift will provide much-needed flexibility in offering financial aid packages tailored to the needs of our students and their families,” Jenkins said in the release.