Holy Cross College announces 2023 commencement speaker

Ahead of their 56th commencement ceremony, Holy Cross College announced their speaker for the 2023 commencement will be the President of Holy Cross Family Ministries, Fr. Fred Jenga, C.S.C.

Fr. Jenga, originally from the Jinja District of Uganda, was ordained in the Congregation of Holy Cross in 2005. He earned his bachelor of theology degree from the Catholic University of East Africa and a bachelor of philosophy degree from Pontifical Urban University in Rome. Additionally, Fr. Jenga earned a master’s in journalism and communication from Makerere University of Kampala, a master’s in communication studies at San Francisco State University and a doctorate in communication studies from the University of Texas at Austin.

Fr. Jenga guides “all of Holy Cross Family Ministries’ efforts in the recognition that ‘the family that prays together stays together’ and ‘a world at prayer is a world at peace,’” the announcement said.

Holy Cross Family Ministries is “a worldwide family of Catholic ministries founded by Father Patrick Peyton, C.S.C, in 1942 as Family Rosary, and later in 1947 as Family Theater Productions,” according to the announcement. As president, Fr. Jenga oversees all ministries in the international organization, focusing on promoting family prayer.

Fr. Jenga regularly writes for multiple national Ugandan newspapers including New Vision, Daily Monitor and Weekly Observer. He is also a recognized rhetorician and researcher who has had his work published in a number of peer-reviewed books and journals.