Weekend Events Calendar

Thursday: "Precious," DPAC @ 6:30 and 9:30 p.m.
This Thursday, Friday and Saturday "Precious," the Academy award nominated film, will be showing at DPAC. It centers on Claireece "Precious" Jones (played by newcomer Gabourey Sidibe), a 16-year old black girl growing up in Harlem. Abused by her mother and raped by her father, Precious's life is an endless string of hardship. Her only escape is through elaborate fantasies she creates for herself in times of difficulty. Yet her imagination cannot save her from the reality of her life. Precious must learn to cope with her difficulties and break out of a cycle of abuse and poverty. A compelling heart-breaking story, "Precious" is a must-see.

Friday: "It's Complicated," DeBartolo 101 @ 8 and 10:30 p.m.
Starring an all-star cast including Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin and John Krasinski, "It's Complicated" is a quirky romantic comedy no doubt aimed at an older crowd, yet enjoyable to a younger audience as well. The plot follows Jane, a self-sufficient divorcee with three grown children and a successful bakery. At her son's graduation, Jane rekindles her romance with her ex-husband, Jake. Upon returning home, Jane begins seeing her architect, Adam, while continuing an affair with her ex-husband. Torn between the two men, Jane must sort out her life and redefine what it means to be the "other woman." John Krasinski is delightful as Jane's daughter's fiancé.

Saturday: The Roots with Mike Posner, Stepan Center @ 7:30 p.m.
The Roots are a hip-hop group out of Philadelphia known for their eclectic mix of live instruments and jazz influences. Formed in 1991 by rapper Black Thought, the group has been touring and making music ever since. Hailed as the best live show in their genre, The Roots are sure to put on a great performance. They are joined by Mike Posner, college student turned singer/songwriter who has become famous for his mix-tapes, combining innovative covers of popular songs with his own compositions. Posner has become known for energetic, sold out shows. Tickets for this event are $10.

Sunday: Hamlet – "Thomas," DPAC @ 1 p.m.
"Hamlet" is considered one of Shakespeare's greatest works. It offers an unparalleled look into the human psyche, delving into madness and obsession in a way none have before or since. Because of its greatness, "Hamlet" has inspired countless adaptations, including Ambroise Thomas's operatic version. Starring Simon Keenlyside and Natalie Dessay, this adaptation elaborates on the madness of Ophelia, creating one of the greatest scenes of madness in all of opera. Filmed live at the Metropolitan Opera and showing in HD in the Browning Cinema, this performance of Thomas's "Hamlet" is the best operatic experience one can get, short of being at the Metropolitan Opera in person.