Council discusses sexual assault

At this week's Council of Representatives (COR) meeting, members were given a presentation on the Committee for Sexual Assault Prevention's (CSAP) online site as well as the upcoming Sexual Assault Awareness Week.

Senior Mariah McGrogan, co-chair of the gender issues committee and a CSAP member, said the site offers a collection of resources for survivors looking for the next step in dealing with the assault.

"As a part of student government's Sexual Assault Awareness Week, we're trying to raise awareness of the CSAP website, which is the most centralized location for all the information you would possibly need about sexual assault," McGrogan said. "There's a page for victims and survivors who've been sexually assaulted and it walks you through the process of reporting a sexual assault."

McGrogan said the site highlights the different ways victims can report a sexual assault.

"There are also two ways that you can report a crime when you decide to go forward for disciplinary punishment of the attacker. The first is through University proceedings, which would be a ResLife trial," she said. "The second would be an off-campus pursuit of disciplinary action which would be through the prosecutor's office as well as the police department."

McGrogan also described the events planned for student government's Sexual Awareness Week, starting next Monday.

"On Tuesday, there will be a dinner in LaFortune from 6-8 p.m., free and open to the public. It includes a bunch of speakers who will be talking about sexual assault and how sexual assault affects members of our community," she said. "It's not just for survivors of sexual assault or people who know survivors, but it's for the entire community to show that this is really something Notre Dame cares about."

McGrogan said there would be information tables set up during the week in LaFortune, the dining halls and the Joyce Center staffed by student government, CSAP, Men Against Violence, Feminist Voice and the Gender Relations Council.

Outside of informational programming, she said there would be religious and social events later in the week.

"On Wednesday, there's a mass of healing that will take place in Dillon Hall," she said. "On Friday, there is a "You're Not Alone" reception. ... it is going to be an outlet that student clubs, organizations, departments and offices on campus can get involved with sexual assault by making a quilt square for a quilt that will be hung up on campus ... just to show that Notre Dame won't stand for sexual violence on this campus."