College works with book drive

Saint Mary's students, faculty and staff reach out to the local community by donating books and videos to the Children's Book Drive at the College, senior Jennifer Kornexl said.

The Children's Book Drive began Feb. 21, and is open to all.

Kornexl said she felt it was important for Saint Mary's to donate items for a good cause.

"The book drive gives people the chance to donate books and videos that are just collecting dust," she said. "These books can then be put to use at organizations in need within the community."

Kornexl said new and used children's books and videos can be donated to the drive. All of the materials collected will be distributed to local programs such as Head Start, St. Margaret's House, day care centers and the South Bend Center for the Homeless.

According to Kornexl, the drive is held "to provide books for different organizations in the community to use."

The book drive is sponsored by Saint Mary's College Office of Civic and Social Engagement (OCSE) in conjunction with REAL Services and the Foster Grandparent Program.

Kornexl said the organizers of the drive do not have a specific goal but are grateful for all materials it receives.

Materials can be dropped in the following locations: Madeleva Lounge in Madeleva Hall, the mail room in Spes Unica Hall, the Le Mans Hall Front Desk, Havican Hall and the circulation desk at the Cushwa Leighton Library.

The book drive will continue through March 4.