SAB hosts seasonal events, engages community

Saint Mary's Student Activities Board (SAB) successfully paired traditional favorites with new events this semester, president Allie Courtney said.

"Our ultimate goal is to bring the Saint Mary's community together through a variety of different events," Courtney said. "I think we have accomplished that this semester. We hosted different events this semester for a new change and appealed to a different part of the student body."

The year began on high note with the Belles Bash, Courtney said. She said over 400 students enjoyed inflatables, a DJ and a laser tag arena at the Bash.

"Undoubtedly the best event of the semester was Belles Bash, our giant kick-off event," Courtney said. "It was a great way for SAB to help students begin their year at Saint Mary's."

After this successful start, SAB drew crowds to its first Fright Fest right before Halloween. The evening featured a haunted house, pumpkin-carving contest and a 1920s-themed Murder Mystery dinner party.

The semester concluded with its annual Winter Wonderland, a holiday service event, in December. Courtney said the Board paired with 20 different clubs to provide crafts and games for underprivileged children in the South Bend community.

"We definitely encouraged community throughout our campus by collaborating with a variety of clubs in Winter Wonderland," Courtney said.

Courtney said she expects more successful events from SAB in the spring to brighten up the dreary winter months.

"For next semester, Midnight Madness will be returning," Courtney said. "The spring concert in April and SMC Tostal are also in the works for next semester."

After wrapping up the fall semester, Courtney, a senior, said she is nostalgic about heading into her last semester with SAB, but is focused on planning successful events.

"We will finally host an outdoor movie, scavenger hunt, canoe races, New Year's party and more Sundaes on Sunday's," Courtney said. "It's very bittersweet for me to be going into my last semester on SAB, but I know [SAB vice president] Caitlyn Wonski, and I are determined to make it special and full of great events."