Association prepares for upcoming election cycle

With student body elections fast approaching, Saint Mary's Student Government Association (SGA) discussed ways to spread awareness about election day and increase voter participation on campus in their meeting Wednesday. 

SGA will provide decorative voting booths in the Student Center atrium and SpesUnica Hall to boost excitement for election day, Executive Secretary Emma Brink said. Each booth will have computers where students can vote, but students can also vote at their convenience using the unique voting email link they receive. 

Brink said the voting booths were added to emphasize the importance of the SGA elections and promote voter participation. 

"Voting booths add to the novelty of voting and the excitement of elections," Brink said. 

Brink said SGA will showcase its new structure and available positions to students interested in running for office both at a campus-wide event Feb. 13 in the Student Center lounge and at its Student Center information table from Feb. 13-17. SGA members hope to attract a wide representation of students, especially first years who are new to the election process.

President Nicole Gans said the Association hopes its enhanced campus presence will encourage more students to not only vote, but also pursue the new leadership roles created within the new structure of SGA, especially within the redesigned Senate. 

Chief of Staff Emily Skirtich said she wants the current administration to leave a strong legacy for its successors and the Saint Mary's community. 

"We want to make this administration known for how excited and involved we got students to become in student government," she said. "We are creating a new era in SGA and we want it to start out with a bang." 

SGA and Senate elections will take place March 1. 

Elections for the Student Diversity Board, Residence Hall Association, Student Activities Board and Class Board elections will be held March 8.