Group discusses The Shirt

Student Senate discussed potential changes to freshman orientation and the upcoming unveiling of The Shirt at its meeting Wednesday.

Junior Ricky Bevington, Student Campus Orientation Committee chairperson, said the committee hopes freshman orientation can be a "vehicle for inclusion" at Notre Dame.

"It definitely needs to be a student effort," he said. "We're working really closely with the dorms to be a resource ... [The] goal is creating a sense of belonging on campus."

To improve orientation, senators suggested increasing the comfort of lesbian, gay, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) students, instituting diversity training, reforming the College HAS (Hookups, Alcohol and Sexual Assault) Issues program, hosting a sexual education session and distributing a sheet with useful miscellaneous information.

Bevington said anyone with suggestions about reforming freshman orientation should email scoc@nd.edu.

Senior Paul Baranay, vice president of The Shirt Project, said The Shirt will be unveiled April 20 at the Hammes Notre Dame Bookstore. Alta Gracia Apparel, a company with a social concerns focus, will produce this year's The Shirt, he said.

"They have a factory down in the Dominican Republic where they pay all their workers a living wage, several times higher than other factories," he said.

The price of The Shirt will increase from $15 to $18 this year, Baranay said, but shirts will be sold to students for $15 at the unveiling ceremony.

Baranay said some of the proceeds from sales will benefit The Shirt Charity Fund, which gives money to students who could not otherwise afford to participate in campus activities. The rest of the profits will cover students' medical costs and fund student organizations, he said.

"Last year, we sold 165,000 shirts and we raised over $700,000 for students," Baranay said.

Senate also approved junior Katie Hennessy for the position of Judicial Council's vice president of elections.