Students intern in fashion

Sometimes work can be more than just tedious - perhaps even fashionable. Senior Miranda Peretti's internship this year serves as a learning experience and a fun activity that allows her to explore her interests in the fashion industry.

Peretti interns with Rent the Runway, an online company that allows customers to rent designer dresses and accessories for a fraction of the price. The company attracted her because of its unique method for girls to switch up their wardrobe frequently, Peretti said.

"With a roster of [more than] 150 top designers and 25,000 of the season's hottest dresses and 4,000 accessories, [Rent the Runway] is designer fashion delivered to your doorstep for a fraction of the price," she said.

According to the company's website, Rent the Runway offers high-quality products and individual customer service to each girl who rents a dress or accessory, because "users benefit from the expertise of professional stylists and the shared wisdom of like-minded fashion-forward members."

Peretti became involved with Rent the Runway after a conversation with Saint Mary's graduate and fellow Rent the Runway intern Brenna Lasky. After applying online, Peretti was selected and began work right away.

"I began as the marketing rep this year, but became co-manager when one of our other co-managers stepped down," she said. "Brenna brought Rent the Runway to SMC last year and started our on-campus team. She also interned at the corporate office in New York this summer."

Peretti and her co-manager, senior Katie Thompson, oversee the promotion of Rent the Runway through various events at Saint Mary's. They are responsible for encouraging students to sign up to be members and borrow from Rent the Runway. The pair manages a team of five interns who brainstorm ways to increase business.

"We are the go-to people for team communication and also provide direction and leadership," Peretti said. "We also relay information from corporate in relation to goals for the month."

For Peretti, this internship is a great way to gain experience in the professional world, but also to work in the fashion industry.

"My favorite part about Rent the Runway is it combines two of my favorite topics, business and fashion," she said. "I love getting the update emails of upcoming trends and new dresses [and] accessories that are available."

Despite her love of fashion and business, Peretti said there are still some obstacles she, Thompson and their team of interns must overcome in order to ensure the company goals are met.

"Our biggest challenge is advertising," she said. "We have to be creative to grab girl's attention, but we must still comply with Saint Mary's rules."

Regardless of any difficulties, Peretti said she is looking forward to the events she and Thompson have planned for this year.

"We plan on having several events on campus this year, including tabling, trunk shows and a fashion show," she said. "Trunk shows allow girls to try on various dresses while tabling helps to spread the word about the company."