Campaign draws volunteers

At Wednesday night’s Student Senate meeting, student body president Alex Coccia updated members on the student government’s new campaign combating sexual assault, One is Too Many.

“We now have 135 volunteers trained for [the campaign],” Coccia said. “We’re already getting positive feedback.” Several volunteers started door-to-door visits in their dorms to discuss the launch of the campaign and speak about resources available on campus pertaining to sexual assault, he said.

The Gender Relations Center is also helping with the campaign by providing student government with pamphlets detailing ways friends can help victims of sexual assault, Coccia said.

National engagement and outreach director Rosie Shepherd attended the meeting and presented her resolution outlining the Senate’s support of the organizational bylaws of the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Student Body President Conference. Coccia attended the inaugural ACC Student Body President Conference shortly after the University joined the ACC in September 2013.

According to the resolution, which passed during Wednesday’s meeting, the goal of the president’s council is to “foster cross-campus communication between active institutions in the ACC; continue the pursuit of being pioneers of higher education, athletics and extracurricular activities; enable collective actions that affect all participating institutions; and promote a strong relationship among all institutions.”

Senators also discussed upcoming signature dorm events and general on-campus events.

Toni Schreier, McGlinn Hall senator said Majors Night will take place in South Dining Hall this Thursday from 6-8 p.m.

“Everyone is welcome, and we’re expecting both teachers and professors from every department to be there,” Schreier said.

Schreier also reminded senators that McGlinn casino night will take place this Saturday from 10 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.

O’Neill Hall senator Kyle McCaffery said only one dorm has currently entered a contestant for next Thursday’s Miss Notre Dame pageant, an O’Neill signature event. There is, however, still time to sign up.

Other events in the next month will include the Keenan Revue and Lewis Hall of Pancakes (LHOP), which will occur on Feb. 7.