Observer names new department editors

Seven new departmental editors will round out The Observer’s 2015-2016 Editorial Board, incoming Editor-in-Chief Greg Hadley announced Wednesday night.

Juniors Erin Rice, Tabitha Ricketts and Haleigh Ehmsen and sophomores Zach Klonsinski, Erin McAuliffe, Margaret Hynds and Zach Llorens will assume control of their departments March 15.

Ehmsen, originally from Mt. Vernon, Iowa, will take over as Saint Mary’s Editor. Ehmsen is a junior English and communication studies double major. She has been a news writer for The Observer since her freshman year and served as Associate Saint Mary’s Editor in the fall of 2014.

Hynds, a native of McLean, Virginia living in Pangborn Hall, will take over as News Editor for the upcoming year. A member of the Observer staff since the fall of 2013, she has covered 2014 Mental Health Awareness Week, 2015 student government elections and student Senate, and she currently serves as an Associate News Editor. Hynds majors in political science with a minor in business economics.

Klonsinski, the new Sports Editor, resides in Knott Hall and is a native of Belgrade, Montana. A sophomore, he is a beat writer for the men’s basketball team and has also covered Irish men's soccer, women’s tennis, rowing, fencing and women's swimming. He is majoring in history and minoring in business economics, and he plans to add a minor in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy in the fall of 2015.

Llorens, born and raised in Los Angeles and a current resident of Zahm House, will assume the role of Photo Editor. A sophomore pursuing a double-major in finance and mathematics, next year will mark his third year on staff at The Observer. In the past, Llorens has covered lectures, sporting events and other campus events.

McAuliffe, a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, will be the new Scene Editor. A resident of Pasquerilla East Hall, she has been a staff member at The Observer for two years. She is a marketing major with a Journalism, Ethics and Democracy minor.

Rice, who is originally from Lake Forest, Illinois, will assume the role of Graphics Editor. A junior majoring in visual communications, Rice joined The Observer in the spring semester of 2014 as a graphic designer. Rice resides in Howard Hall and has also worked for The Dome and the Snite Museum of Art.

Ricketts will join the board as Viewpoint Editor. She began her work with The Observer as a news writer for Saint Mary’s four years ago and then became a member of the Viewpoint staff. A resident of Clarkston, Michigan, she is a member of the Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s dual degree in engineering program. She will complete her transfer to Notre Dame in the fall of 2015 to finish her B.S. in Computer Science. This spring, she will graduate from Saint Mary’s with a B.A. in English writing.