College hosts academic skills workshop

For the eighth year, the College will host an Academic Skills and Strategies Workshop series, which aims to teach students effective study techniques and methods.

Senior Fiona Van Antwerp said she implemented many of the strategies she learned through the Academic Skills and Strategies program. Accordingly, she has noticed a significant difference in the quality of her work.

“I learned so many important skills about how to study and compile information and how to budget my time and how to ask the right questions,” Van Antwerp said.

The series is run by the director of the Office for Student Success, Diane Fox, who said she hopes the program helps students to not only learn the proper skills and techniques for earning the best grades possible, but also to maintain academic consistency throughout the semester.

“There are five topics offered in this year’s series,” she said. “All workshops are 30 minutes long, and each topic is offered at least three different times so that students may choose a time that is most convenient with their schedules.”

Fox said her goal is to always find new information and strategies tailored to the different personalities of each student, since creating a personal study plan can be a new skill for students seeking ways to improve their performance.

Van Antwerp said she discovers something new in each workshop.

“Every workshop is drastically different, so the information and techniques you acquire from one workshop isn’t necessarily the same as what you learned the last time,” she said. “Sometimes I’ve experienced that I even pick up on the same concept differently each time.”

Van Antwerp said these workshops benefit students from all majors, so she hopes everyone will give them a chance.

“I would encourage all students to attend because everybody learns things differently, which is what makes these workshops so unique, as it caters to all types of learning styles,” she said.

Fox said most times students are too shy or embarrassed to ask for help and guidance in their academics or to admit that they are struggling.

“When a person asks for help, they do so out of strength rather than weakness,” she said. “To take the initiative and ask for help shows that you are dedicated to your success and dedicated to your own well-being.”

Fox said she facilitates a study tables program that requires students to sign in and do homework or study in designated areas on campus for at least four hours per week between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.

“A key part of this program is to allow for a space where students are able to come and assign a particular time of the day to do work,” Fox said.

Fox said the comprehensive goal of these programs is not only to instill academic skills, but also life skills that can be carried with students throughout their lives and future careers.

“It teaches you responsibility for yourself because we have to empower ourselves to learn to advocate for ourselves so that we can take care of ourselves,” Fox said. “The sooner we realize and achieve these goals, the happier we’re going to be, and the more successful we will be too.”