Thursday, May 16, 2024

Back is ‘Black Panther’

1548893626-3f3b4b5044ea7b2-700x148

In an excellent start to Black History Month, Disney is bringing “Black Panther”back to select theaters for free. From Feb. 1 through Feb. 7, you can watch “Black Panther” for free at AMC South Bend 16.

After garnering over $1.3 billion in the international box office, “Black Panther” is on its way to taking the world by storm again. Not only has the film broken records in regards to box office sales by becoming the highest-grossing superhero film in North America, it also made history as the first superhero movie to be nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars.

Under the guidance of Kendrick Lamar, “Black Panther”had an iconic soundtrack. With songs such as “All of the Stars” performed by SZA and Kendrick Lamar and “I Am” by Jorja Smith, there is something for almost everyone.

The Ryan Coogler film also earned nominations at the 2019 Oscars in the following categories: Best Original Music Score, Best Costume Design, Best Sound Mixing, Best Production Design and Best Sound Editing.

While the Oscars are not until Feb. 24, the cast of “Black Panther” has already won big at the Screen Actors Guild Awards. The movie took home an award for Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture and Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture. The cast of “Black Panther”is quite amazing; from Angela Bassett to Letitia Wright, the film had amazing actors and actresses from every stage in their careers.

Black History Month honors all of the amazing black leaders, authors, artists, athletes, etc., from both the past and present, and serves as a way to inspire the future generation.

“Black Panther” is an important film for not just Black History Month, but also Black History in general. “Black Panther”hit the mark when it came to representation of the black community. Not only is the cast primarily black, but the director and all the artists on the soundtrack are also black. “Black Panther”gave black children a hero that they could see themselves in. Whether it be T’Challa, Nakia or Shuri, children were able to see themselves as warriors and geniuses.

“Black Panther”is not the only film returning for February. “BlackkKlansmanis returning to select theaters — unfortunately not for free — and while there will not be any shows in South Bend, there are opportunities to watch this Spike Lee film in Indianapolis and Bloomington.

Even if you are not able to go out and see either of these wonderful films, you can celebrate Black History month by attending the Black Hair Expo on Feb. 10 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. in LaFortune Student Center. Enjoy the month of February while learning and celebrating Black history.

Wakanda Forever!