Sessions help first years find vocations

The Saint Mary’s Center for Spirituality is hosting a three-part series for first year students who are interested in gaining a better sense of themselves. Find Your Voice’ invites first year students to a series of three dinners filled with discussion sessions based on the theological concept of vocation. 

Arlene Montevecchio, the director of the Center for Spirituality, said vocation comes from a higher power.

“[It’s] God’s calling about how to live your life,” she said.

The Center for Spirituality aims to help students across campus discover their vocation. A program for sophomores, juniors and seniors has already been previously established and is called ‘Real Life’.

One’s vocation can be found from utilizing their gifts and talents through their major, and by using their career choice to prominently impact the world, Montevecchio said. She also expressed a hope that, through the realization of vocation, students will continue to use their gifts and talents on campus and in the future.

Both programs were created with the intention of students benefiting from purposeful conversations that take place outside of the classroom through small group interactions with peers, faculty and staff members. These interactions within the program allow students to engage in the Catholic intellectual tradition which is defined by where faith and reason meet, Montevecchio said.

During the first year at college, students are eager to discover their talents and passions while establishing bonds with peers. Some might be trying to decide what they think they should major in or what career path to take, while others have already known since a young age.

Montevecchio said she hopes the Center for Spirituality can help guide students as they make these choices.

“First year students will gain a better sense of self — how their own gifts and talents can be used on campus and in the future,” she said.

Isabel France, a first year student, said she is very eager to discover how God is working in her life. Not only will her own voice be revealed to her through attending these sessions, but she will be able to hear the voices of other women attending Saint Mary’s.

“I think this will open our minds to who we all are, and who we believe God is wanting us to become,” she said.

The three sessions will be held on Feb. 4 from 6-7:30 p.m. in Stapleton Lounge, Feb. 18, from 6-7:30 p.m. in Rice Commons and March 3, from 6-7:30 p.m. in Rice Commons. All participants will receive a book and journal to help aid them along their journey.

First year students who are interested in experiencing these sessions should contact Arlene Montevecchio before Friday, Jan. 24.