Dolly Parton is a ‘Rockstar’ on her new album

1701294185-ec59474282876b8-700x467

“If I’m going to go in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I’m going to have to earn it.”

Dolly Parton is a living legend in the world of music. She’s been serving bangers and looks in country music since 1967, and recently, she made her foray into rock and roll. 

Last year, she was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. When nominated, she initially requested to remove her name from the ballot, though she eventually accepted the nomination. 

“I’m sure a lot of you knew that back when they said they were gonna put me in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I didn’t feel like I had done enough to deserve that. I didn’t understand at the time that it’s about more than that, but I’m just so honored and so proud to be here tonight.”

Parton’s touching speech about her music legacy and her earnest desire to earn her spot in the hall of fame provide context for her latest release. 

Released Nov. 17, “Rockstar” is Parton’s 49th solo studio album. About one-third of songs on the record are originals, but the rest are covers with either the original artists of the song or with current popular artists like Miley Cyrus and Lizzo. The sheer number of famous rockstars on the record is impressive (and seemingly impossible), but one has to remember — it’s Dolly Parton. 

With the sheer size of the tracklist, one article will not do the album justice. However, here are some of my personal favorites from “Rockstar”: 

“Magic Man (Carl Version)”

This song is on here for a lot of reasons. The main one: I’m a huge fan of Heart. You likely know them from songs like “Crazy On You” and “Barracuda,” but “Magic Man” is another classic. Heart’s lead singer Ann Wilson and guitarist Howard Leese feature on this track — Wilson’s resonant voice works as a great partner to Parton, and Leese’s playing evokes the sound of the original hypnotic track. I adore that Parton added “(Carl Version)” as a nod to her husband of 57 years.

“Either Or”

Out of the original songs on the album, “Either Or” is, in my opinion, the best. It’s a fun blend of country and rock, complemented by Kid Rock’s husky voice. In the song, Parton acts as a disgruntled partner fed up with Kid Rock’s cheating ways, telling him “It’s me or them, you take your choice / It’s an either-or situation.” 

“Purple Rain”

While Parton often finds a way to add some pep to each of the tracks in her signature way, “Purple Rain” is a somber, yet powerful rendition which stays true to the emotion of the original song. Though she does Prince justice, his absence from the many collaborations is a bitter reminder of his unhappy end. Despite the wear in her voice from several years in the music business, Parton impressively manages to hold her own in this expressive and vocally demanding song. It’s one of my favorites from the album. 

Again, there are 30 songs on this album, and there is not enough space to adequately discuss the time and talent that went into each track. Some honorable mentions are “Free Bird” with Lynyrd Skynyrd, “Long As I Can See The Light” with John Fogerty, “You’re No Good” with Emmylou Harris and Sheryl Crow and “What’s Up?” with Linda Perry. 

“Rockstar” pays homage to the great rockers before Parton, and her devotion to mastering the craft with the help of the people who shaped the genre is admirable. Whether or not this album convinces listeners of her multi-genre talents, Dolly Parton will always be a rockstar in my heart.